Professional Surveying Career:
1997 (February) to date - Independent Marine Engineer Consultant and Ship Surveyor
- OCIMF approved Ship Vetting Inspector for Oil, Chemical & Gas tankers.
- Present seminars for training of tanker officers & crew on Oil Major vetting and other related items.
- ISM Code Internal Auditor and trainer (on job training and seminars).
- Company Security Officer trained & authorised to carry out Ship Security Assessment Surveys.
- Towage Approval Surveys. (Emphases on the machinery aspects of the towing vessel).
- Pre-purchase inspections of second hand tonnage (all types of deep-sea vessels).
- Small Boat Surveyor registered with the Society of Consulting Marine Engineers & Ship Surveyors. Owners Representative during the takeover of purchased vessels.
- Owners on site manager during the major refits, which included two Ro-Ro car ferries (500-car capacity) and two super yacht refits ($2.5M & $1.2M contract value) plus the renewal of the propulsion engines of a coastal tanker.
- Ship building on site supervision (machinery, hull and accommodation).
- Operational review of a Far East ship management company (systems, personnel, procedures and financial viability of the company).
- Bank Asset Surveys of new building and existing tonnage.
- Classification Society records Inspections.
- Machinery damage surveys and fuel quality disputes.
- Litigation report and investigation of a major damage to a large dockside crane including repair and renewal feasibility for a major UK port operator.
1972 to 1997 - Ugland Group, Wallem Group, Moller Line And Comben Longstaff:
26 years in senior positions including Director, Fleet Manager, Project Manager and Superintendent Engineer.
- Fleet Manager running a fleet of up to 15 vessels (using the "Fleet Team" concept) with full budget control of the department and vessels.
- Control and supervision of routine and unscheduled dry dockings.
- Supervision of damage repairs including preparation of detailed repair specifications and negotiation of accounts and settlement of invoices.
- Design and plan approval in conjunction with Classification Society in respect of bulk carrier conversions.
- Investigating the causes of machinery damage and failures on managed tonnage.
- Pre-purchase ship condition surveys.
- Project management of VLCC from lay up through reclassification and upgrading of systems to the discharge of the first cargo. Project value $2.5M.
- Part of a team that wrote the initial Safety Management Systems (ISO 9002 & ISM Code) for the Ship Management Company and later sold the system to International Shipping Companies.
1965 to 1972 - Blue Funnel Line & Mobil Tankers:
8 years in the UK Merchant Service as an Engineer Officer, rising to the rank of Chief Engineer. Served on Refrigerated and Cargo Liner vessels and Large Crude Oil Tankers, both Diesel and Steam powered.
1961 to 1965 - Shipyard:
Served an apprenticeship as a Heavy Marine Fitter and Turner at Drypool Engineering and Dry Dock Co. Ltd. (Kingston upon Hull), building coastal tankers and bulk carriers. Experience gained in the machine shop, engine building and test shop, drawing office, new building and repair sections of the company.